Family Activity Ideas
Let kids pick a movie, and try to create a dessert treat that goes with the theme of the movie.
- Monster cookies for a scary movie
- Picnic on the family room floor with caterpillar cupcakes for a nature movie
- Birthday cake for a movie that has a birthday party
Picnic in winter
Spread a tablecloth on the floor in front of the fireplace. Roast hot dogs and have s’mores.
If possible, incorporate the food as part of the game board.
- Checkers—make two different colors of cookies
- Cookieopoly—tiny cookies can be the houses & hotels
- Food Charades—each topic that is acted out has to pertain to food
Family meal night
Every member plans a part of the meal and makes it for the family to enjoy.
Family cookout/backyard picnic
Enjoy a whole evening out in the backyard and include games that all members can play.
- Watermelon seed spitting
- 3-legged races
- Red Rover
Set aside time to talk with your child and make it special by serving his/her favorite treat.
Take a walk
Connect with kids and show them the benefits of exercise. Stop during your walk to enjoy a special treat that you have taken along.
Everyday events made special
- Slumber Parties—serve tacos, or make your own pizzas
- Skating Parties—serve hot chocolate and brownies
- Book Review Parties
- Trade places with parents and exchange tasks
- Family game night
- Backwards day—serve breakfast for dinner—i.e., serve pancakes
- PJ day—serve a special breakfast
- First day & last day of school
- Red (blue) letter days (Acing a test)
- Assign or have children choose a country and have them study how that culture celebrates the holiday. Have them share their learning and special foods with the family.
- Have children be in charge of setting and decorating the holiday table. Have them make place cards for each guest and family member.
- Create a holiday meal that includes each person’s favorite foods.
- Create a holiday meal that is served year after year and becomes a family tradition...It just wouldn’t be a holiday without Mom’s Stroganoff dinner.