Frequently Asked Questions
We want to make your experience with Pillsbury® Baking as simple and pleasurable as possible. If you have a question about a specific product, please see our frequently asked questions.
Brownie Mix Frequently Asked Questions
- How should I prepare the pan before baking my brownies?
- Grease the bottom of the pan only with solid shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- What are some quick stir-in ideas?
- Great ideas to make your brownies extra special include stirring in chocolate, peanut butter or white vanilla chips or chopped nuts. Use 1/3 cup for an 8 x 8-inch or 9 x 9-inch pan and 1/2 cup for a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Can butter or margarine be substituted for oil?
- Yes. Melted butter or margarine can be substituted for the oil in the basic recipe. Melted butter or margarine should be cooled slightly before adding to the other brownie ingredients.
- Can I substitute applesauce for oil?
- Our baking experts do not recommend that you substitute applesauce for oil.
- How do I make a more cake-like brownie?
- You can find the directions for making cake-like brownies on the back of the brownie package.
- How do I know when the brownies are done?
- It is very difficult to see when brownies are done. It is best to remove the brownies between the recommended bake-time range.
- How should I store my baked brownies?
- After cooling completely, store covered at room temperature.
- Can I freeze my baked brownies?
- Yes. To prevent freezer burn, wrap tightly and use within 2 months.