Frequently Asked Questions
We want to make your experience with Pillsbury® Baking as simple and pleasurable as possible. If you have a question about a specific product, please see our frequently asked questions.
Moist Supreme® Cake Frequently Asked Questions
- How should I prepare my pan?
- Grease pan generously with shortening. Lightly flour or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Can I substitute egg whites for whole eggs?
- Refer to the directions on the back of the package for the No Cholesterol recipe.
- What are some special stir-in ideas?
- Depending on your preferred flavor combination, try the following suggestions. Stir in before mixing: • 1 tablespoon grated lemon or orange peel • 2–3 teaspoons vanilla, almond, orange, lemon, coconut, butter, peppermint, maple, or rum extract. Stir in after mixing the batter: • 2 ounces milk or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped • 1 cup finely chopped nuts • 1 cup coarsely chopped cookies • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds • 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained and chopped
- How much batter should I put in each pan when making a layer cake?
- One package of mix yields 4 1/2 cups cake batter. Therefore, put 2 1/4 cups in each pan.
- How do I tell when my cake is done?
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- How long should I let my layer cake cool before removing from the pans?
- Cool in pan on cooling rack 15 minutes; remove from pan.
- Can my baked cake be frozen?
- Yes. Make sure that the cake is completely cooled before wrapping in an airtight, moisture-proof wrap. For best quality, use within 3 months. To thaw, place wrapped cake at room temperature for 3–4 hours.
- Do you have tips for baking wedding cakes?
- Yes. Please see our wedding cake guide for more information.