- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 20 sandwich cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/4 cups dulce de leche
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- STIR together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl until blended.
- BEAT shortening and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Blend in egg yolks. Add water, lemon peel and vanilla, beating until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, scraping sides of bowl after each addition. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 325ºF. Coat baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray. Roll out half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut into 2-inch rounds. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 9 minutes or until edges just begin to turn light brown. Cool 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- TURN half the cookies flat-side up. Spread about one tablespoon dulce de leche on flat sides of cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat-side down, to form sandwich cookies. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 sandwich cookie of ), Calories 20 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 75mg, Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 15g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.