All-American Cherry Pie
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 8
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red sour pitted cherries, drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- Few drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Prepare as directed. Do not bake. Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; add reserved 1/4 cup cherry juice and red food coloring, if desired. Stir until blended. Add cherries.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and almond extract.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust. Roll out top crust. Using 1-1/2-inch star cutter, cut 3 stars in center of crust. Place top crust over filling; trim and seal. Roll out leftover scraps to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into star garnishes. Place on crust as desired.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolk with fork. Stir in half-and-half. Brush over top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 36 brownies), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 100mg, Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 16g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.