All-American Cherry Pie
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 8
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red sour pitted cherries, drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- Few drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Prepare as directed. Do not bake. Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; add reserved 1/4 cup cherry juice and red food coloring, if desired. Stir until blended. Add cherries.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and almond extract.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust. Roll out top crust. Using 1-1/2-inch star cutter, cut 3 stars in center of crust. Place top crust over filling; trim and seal. Roll out leftover scraps to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into star garnishes. Place on crust as desired.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolk with fork. Stir in half-and-half. Brush over top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 180), Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 340mg, Total Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 25g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.