- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 red apple, peeled, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Additional chopped pecans (optional)
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Spray a 12 cup fluted pan or 10-inch tube pan with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- BEAT egg whites in bowl of electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form; transfer to another bowl.
- COMBINE shortening, sugar and egg yolks. Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture. Beat at low speed until mixed. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Reduce speed to low.
- ADD pineapple with juice, sour cream and almond extract. Beat until blended. Stir in egg whites, apple and 1 cup nuts with spoon. Spoon into prepared pan.
- BAKE 45 to 55 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 to 7 minutes. Refrigerate 5 minutes before removing from pan. Place cake, top side up, on wire rack. Cool completely. Place cake on serving plate.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice in small bowl; drizzle over top of cake, letting excess glaze run down side.
- SPRINKLE with additional nuts, if desired, before glaze hardens.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 170mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 30g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.