- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 210 min
- Yield: 2 loaves
- 1 cup Martha White® Plain Enriched Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water, 110 to 115°F
- 6 to 7 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- COMBINE corn meal, shortening, molasses and salt in large bowl. Stir in boiling water. Let cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over warm water; let stand until softened.
- ADD 1 cup flour to shortening mixture; whisk until very smooth. Mix in softened yeast. Add about half of remaining flour and beat until very smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- TURN dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- SPRAY a deep bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Add dough to bowl; turning to coat surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- PUNCH down dough; divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves. Spray two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Place one loaf in each pan. Cover; let rise again until double in size, about 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bread is brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to cool on racks.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 3.5g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 2000mg, Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 4g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.