Apple and Raisin Turnovers
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 40 min
- Yield: 12 fried pies
- 1 1/2 cups pared, chopped, tart cooking apples
- 1/3 cup seedless raisins
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, for deep frying
- OR Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, for deep frying
- COMBINE apples, raisins and 1/3 cup water in a heavy saucepan. Cook over high heat until mixture comes to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- COMBINE flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until dry ingredients are moistened and dough can be gathered into a ball.
- DIVIDE dough in half. Roll one half to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a 5-inch cutter (or 5-inch bowl), cut 6 circles from each half. (Re-roll scraps as necessary.)
- HEAT shortening to 365ºF in a deep saucepan or deep fryer.
- PLACE about 1 tablespoon of apple filling on each dough circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half over filling, pressing with fork to seal.
- FRY a few pies at a time about 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Serve warm or cool.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 turnover), Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 150), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 8g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.