Apple Blossom Pie
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 to 5 cups peeled, cored, sliced Red Rome, Rome Beauty, or Jonathan apples (about 1 2/3 pounds or 4 to 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup apple juice or apple pear juice blend
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- OR 3 to 4 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reserved liquid from cooking apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie. Roll out dough for bottom crust. Place in 9-inch pie plate. Press to fit without stretching dough. Trim even with pie plate. Do not bake.
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- COMBINE apples, juice and water in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in honey and 1⁄4 cup sugar. Cover. Reduce heat to simmer.
- COOK 10 to 15 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain apples, reserving 3/4 cup liquid; set aside. In same saucepan, combine remaining 3⁄4 to 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, apple pie spice and salt; add reserved 3⁄4 cup liquid. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in butter and apples.
- COOL slightly before pouring into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water. Roll out top crust; lift onto filled pie. Trim 1⁄2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Flute. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- BRUSH pie crust with half-and-half. Sprinkle with sugar.
- BAKE 10 minutes. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
- REDUCE oven temperature to 350°F. Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool. Serve barely warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 180), Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 340mg, Total Carbohydrate 65g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 38g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.