Apple Dumpling Pie
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 80 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3 1/2 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced Gala apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Simply Fruit® Apricot Spreadable Fruit, divided
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled, cut into cubes
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- PLACE apple slices in large bowl. Toss with lemon juice. Mix sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, salt and cinnamon with apple slices. Reserve 2 tbsp. fruit spread; add remaining to apple mixture. Mix until evenly coated.
- BLEND flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle half the amount of water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Add more water by the tablespoon, until dough is moist enough to hold together.
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Gather dough into two balls. Flatten one ball and place on lightly floured surface. Roll dough from center outward to form a 1/4-inch thick circle 11 inches in diameter. Place on parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough.
- PLACE half of apple mixture on one half of each dough circle. Fold dough over apple mixture, covering apples. Pinch and crimp dough edge to seal. Beat egg white with water until frothy. Brush tops of pies. Bake 15 minutes. Remove pies, lower oven temperature to 400°F. Brush pies with reserved fruit spread. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 16g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.