Apple Maple Raisin Pie
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 90 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 2/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 7 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water
- 9 cups peeled, cored, quartered apples (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup Hungry Jack® Original Syrup
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- HEAT oven to 375ºF.
- COMBINE flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or two knives just until mixture forms pea-sized chunks. Sprinkle with water, one tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two equal parts. Press between hands to form two 5 to 6-inch "pancakes."
- FLOUR "pancakes" lightly on both sides. Roll one "pancake" between sheets of waxed paper (or plastic wrap) on dampened countertop for bottom crust. Peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Trim 1" larger than upside-down 10 inch pie plate. Flip into pie plate. Remove other sheet. Trim edge even with pie plate. Moisten edge of pastry with water.
- TOSS apples and raisins in large bowl with syrup, flour, salt, cream, cinnamon and cardamom. Mound filling in pie shell.
- ROLL top crust same as bottom using second "pancake" to 1/8-inch thick. Peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Flip onto filled pie. Remove other sheet of waxed paper. Trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Flute. Brush crust with milk. Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.
- BAKE 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cover pie loosely with foil to prevent over-browning, if necessary. Cool at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 580 (Calories from Fat 250), Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 79g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 24g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 2%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.