Apple Pie in Cheddar Crust
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 6 to 7 cups cored, peeled, sliced tart cooking apples
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- HEAT oven to 400ºF. Combine flour, cheese and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until dry ingredients are moistened and dough can be gathered into a ball. Reserve egg yolk and water.
- DIVIDE dough almost in half. Roll out larger half to a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim edge to 1/2 inch beyond rim of pie plate.
- COMBINE apples, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; mix well. Arrange in unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter.
- ROLL out remaining pastry to an 11-inch circle. Place top crust over apples and trim edge to 1 inch beyond rim of pie plate. Fold top crust under lower crust and form a ridge. Flute edge. Cut slits for steam to escape. Combine egg white and water. Brush over crust.
- BAKE 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool on rack. Serve warm or cold with scoops of ice cream or slices of cheddar cheese.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 330mg, Total Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 26g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.