- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Ready Time: 80 min
- Yield: 12 turnovers
- 1 3/4 cups peeled, chopped tart cooking apples, (about 2/3 pound or 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- COMBINE apples and water in small saucepan. Cook and stir on high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Combine flour and granulated sugar. Stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Stir in butter.
- HEAT oven to 425ºF. Prepare dough according to pie crust recipe directions; divide in half. Roll each half to 1/16-inch thickness. Cut six 5 1/4-inch circles from each half (reroll circles as necessary to 1/16-inch thickness).
- PLACE about 1 tablespoon apple filling on each dough circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half over filling. Press with fork to seal. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Prick tops with fork to let steam escape.
- BAKE 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in small bowl. Stir well. Drizzle over turnovers. Serve warm or cool.
- TIP Note: Any canned fruit pie filling can be substituted for fresh apple filling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 turnover), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 14g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.