Beef and Potato Empanadas
Empanadas de Carne y Papas
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 70 min
- Yield: 8 Empanadas
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 cups white corn masa flour
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes and chiles (such as Rotel), drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
- 3/4 cup diced, cooked potato
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Mexican melting cheese, such as queso quesadilla or Monterey Jack
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Corn Oil
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheet with no-stick spray.
- Dough: COMBINE masa flour, wheat flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter using pastry blender until pea-size chunks are formed. Add egg and water, by the tablespoon, to flour mixture, until dough comes together to form a ball. Rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 6 1/2-inch circle.
- COOK ground beef and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up any lumps, until evenly browned and no longer pink. Drain. Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, green chiles, potato, garlic and water. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until most of water is absorbed. Stir in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- DIVIDE the filling evenly, about 1/3 cup, onto the lower half of dough circles, keeping it about 1/2-inch from edge. Fold dough in half. Crimp edges with fork to seal. Place empanadas on baking sheet. Brush with corn oil. Prick tops with tines of fork to vent. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 empanada), Calories 440 (Calories from Fat 240), Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 14g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 620mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 1g), Protein 19g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 20%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.