Caramel Apple Crumb Pie
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- Single Crust Classic Crisco® Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoons fine, dry bread crumbs
- 9 cups peeled, cored, sliced (1/2-inch slices) Granny Smith apples (about 3 lbs. or 6 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup reserved brown sugar syrup
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- PREPARE single pie crust according to recipe directions, using a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons bread crumbs onto bottom of crust. Do not bake. Heat oven to 425°F.
- PLACE apples in large skillet with a lid. Sprinkle with cinnamon and water. Cover. Steam on medium heat 7 minutes or until tender, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- SPOON apples and any liquid into large bowl. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons flour. Toss gently.
- COMBINE brown sugar, heavy cream and 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Reserve 1/4 cup brown sugar syrup for glaze. Add remaining syrup to apples. Toss to coat. Cool.
- COMBINE 1/2 cup flour, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in 5 tablespoons butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- SPOON apple mixture into unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- BAKE at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Bake an additional 40 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Remove from oven. Cool slightly.
- COMBINE reserved syrup and powdered sugar. Drizzle over baked pie just before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 490 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 170mg, Total Carbohydrate 81g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 61g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.