Caribbean Pot Roast
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 190 min
- Ready Time: 205 min
- Yield: 5 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- OR Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray, if using slow cooker
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 (12 oz.) jar Smucker's® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- Cooked rice or noodles (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
STOVE TOP METHOD
- HEAT oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides in pan.
- SPRINKLE meat with flour. Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, curry powder, ketchup, sweet orange marmalade and hot pepper sauce in medium bowl; stir in black beans, water and ketchup. Pour mixture over roast.
- BRING to a boil, then cover tightly and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- REMOVE meat to serving platter. Cut into serving-size pieces. Stir lime peel into gravy and beans. Pour gravy over meat. Serve over cooked rice or egg noodles and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
SLOW COOKER METHOD
- COAT slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray. Place roast in cooker.
- SPRINKLE meat with flour. Combine salt, curry powder, ketchup, sweet orange marmalade and hot pepper sauce in medium bowl; stir in black beans, water and ketchup. Pour mixture over roast
- COVER and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours (or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours) or until meat is fork-tender. To serve, see final step above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/5 of recipe), Calories 890 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 115mg, Sodium 1040mg, Total Carbohydrate 113g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 53g), Protein 64g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 6%, Iron 45%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.