Cheese'n Carrot Sandwich Buns
- Prep Time: 80 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 105 min
- Yield: 18 buns
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (1/4 oz.) packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 large egg
- 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ Bread Flour
- SPRAY 2 cookie sheets with no-stick cooking spray. Heat water and milk until warm (100° to 110°F); pour into large bowl. Add yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar; dissolve. Stir in remaining sugar, salt, carrots, shortening, cheese, orange peel and egg. Mix well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. Level off. Add 3 cups flour to yeast mixture.
- BLEND at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in 2 to 2 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- KNEAD in remaining flour on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes (dough will be soft and slightly sticky).
- SPRAY a large bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough in prepared bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) until light and doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- PUNCH down dough several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide dough into 18 pieces. Shape into balls. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly. Cover. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets immediately. Brush with melted butter, if desired.
High Altitude (above 3500 feet):
- No change.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 bun of 18), Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.