Cherry Nut Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 85 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, or other chopped nuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT 3/4 cup shortening, 1 1/4 cups sugar and vanilla in large bowl using an electric mixer; add eggs, beat well.
- COMBINE 3 cups flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; add to shortening mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread half the batter in prepared pan. Cover with half of cherry pie filling, spreading as evenly as possible. Repeat layers.
- COMBINE 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour; mix in 1/4 cup shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over cake batter. Sprinkle with nuts.
- BAKE 50 minutes or until top is brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool until slightly warm or to room temperature.
- ADD enough milk (about 1 tablespoon) to powdered sugar to make desired consistency. Stir in almond extract. Drizzle over cake.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 300mg, Total Carbohydrate 58g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 28g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.