Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 4 dozen
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Coat baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat into shortening mixture at low speed until smooth. Stir in oats, raisins and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- CHOCOLATE OR BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP: Add 1 cup chocolate or butterscotch chips to batter.
- COCONUT: Add 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut.
- MAPLE: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring.
- MAPLE WALNUT: Omit raisins. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring to dough. Frost top of cooled cookies with mixture of 1 (16 oz.) can Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme Vanilla Frosting and 1 teaspoon maple flavoring. Garnish with walnut halves.
- CHOCOLATE-DIPPED: Omit raisins and nuts. Microwave 1 cup Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme Chocolate Frosting 20 to 25 seconds or until smooth and thin. Dip top half of cooled cookie in frosting. Lay on wax paper until firm.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cookie), Calories 110 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 40mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.