Chicken Empanada Cones
Donna Wolfe, Hamilton, NJ, Bake-Off® Contest 45, 2012 Finalist
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 75 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
- 4 teaspoons agave sweetener or honey
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST® Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 (18.5 oz.) can Progresso® World Recipes frijoles negros y jalapeño soup, drained, reserving liquid
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (from a jar)
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In 1-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave water on High 1 minute. Add raisins; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon of the butter on High 10 to 20 seconds or until melted. Stir in agave sweetener; set aside. Chop enough cilantro to measure 1 tablespoon; set aside.
- In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently or until onion is softened. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in reserved liquid from can of frijoles negros. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the frijoles negros, chicken, corn, roasted peppers, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, garlic salt, cumin and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain raisins; chop raisins and stir into chicken mixture. Cool slightly.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper or spray with no-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle cookie sheets with cornmeal. Unroll pie crusts. Roll each into 13-inch round; cut each round into quarters. To make each empanada, place piece of pie crust on cookie sheet, pressing into cornmeal. Brush center with agave mixture. Spoon rounded 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in center. Bring long sides of dough together, forming a cone shape. Press to seal, leaving rounded end open. Repeat with remaining pie crust, agave mixture and chicken mixture.
- Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve empanadas with salsa, sour cream and remaining cilantro.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2012 / LAND O LAKES is a registered trademark of Land O’Lakes, Inc. / McCormick and the Mc logo are registered trademarks of McCormick & Company, Incorporated, used by permission.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 800mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 7g), Protein 15g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.