- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 1 cake or 3 dozen cupcakes
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process or regular cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan or two 9-inch round layer pans, or cupcake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add buttermilk, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended, scraping bowl frequently. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pan(s).
- BAKE pan cake or layer cakes 25 to 30 minutes, cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- COOL layers and cupcakes on wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pans to cool completely. Cool 13 x 9 cake completely. Frost as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (abt 1/4 c, 1/6 of recipe), Calories 590 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 700mg, Total Carbohydrate 69g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 9g), Protein 36g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 35%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.