Cinnamon-Currant Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 25 min
- Yield: 6 biscuits
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® Self Rising Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants. Stirring with fork, add enough buttermilk until mixture leaves sides of bowl and soft dough forms.
- TURN dough onto floured surface. Knead lightly until no longer sticky. Roll out 1/2-inch thick. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet with sides touching.
- BAKE 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool biscuits.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, butter and vanilla, adding enough milk for desired glaze consistency. Glaze biscuits. Sprinkle with cinnamon to garnish.
- TIP **Buttermilk substitute: use 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make one cup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 biscuit of 6), Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 50mg, Total Carbohydrate 74g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 40g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.