Classic Apple Pie
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- Double Crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust
- 6 cups sliced, peeled baking apples (about 2 pounds or 4 large), such as Granny Smith, MacIntosh, Gala
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie, using a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out dough for bottom crust and place in pie plate according to recipe directions. Heat oven to 400ºF.
- COMBINE apples, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Toss well to coat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and vanilla. Spoon into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water.
- ROLL out dough for top crust, place onto filled pie and finish edges according to pie crust recipe directions. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam.
- WHISK egg and milk in small bowl. Brush on top crust. Sprinkle with sugar.
- BAKE 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Bake 50 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool until barely warm or to room temperature before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 180mg, Total Carbohydrate 64g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 36g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.