Classic Beef Stew
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 120 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 6 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless beef round steak, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 6 small red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 1 (9 oz.) package frozen cut green beans
- COAT 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven with no-stick cooking spray. Place meat in pan.
- COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in small bowl. Toss meat with flour mixture to coat evenly. Heat to medium-high. Cook and stir meat 3 minutes or until browned, adding oil if needed. Add 1 1/2 cups water, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, garlic and paprika. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- MIX bouillon in 1 cup water. Add to meat mixture along with carrots, potatoes and onions. Cover; simmer 45 to 50 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add beans. Simmer 5 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
SLOW COOKER METHOD
- COAT slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray. Place meat in cooker.
- COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in small bowl. Toss meat with flour mixture to coat evenly. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, garlic, paprika, bouillon, carrots, potatoes, onions and green beans. Mix to combine ingredients.
- COVER and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours (or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours) or until meat is fork-tender. Remove bay leaf. Stir to combine gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 370 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 700mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 7g), Protein 24g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 210%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 10%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.