Classic Crisco Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 35 min
- Yield: 9 biscuits
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1-3/4 cups Pillsbury BEST™ Self Rising Flour
- OR 1-3/4 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- OR 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into small pieces
- OR 3 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- POSITION oven rack in center position. Heat oven to 475ºF. Spray an 8-inch cake pan with no-stick cooking spray.
FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD
- PULSE self-rising flour, baking soda and salt in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade. Sprinkle shortening over flour mixture; pulse just until mixture forms pea-sized chunks. Pour buttermilk over the mixture; pulse until well-blended and a soft, sticky dough is formed. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
- PLACE all-purpose flour in a small, shallow dish. Spray an ice-cream scoop with no-stick cooking spray. Scoop dough into 10 portions; roll in flour to lightly dust each biscuit; shake off excess flour. Place biscuits close together in prepared pan; brush with melted butter.
- BAKE 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes before serving warm with your favorite Smuckers® Jam, Jelly or Preserves.
- COMBINE dry ingredients in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture forms pea-sized chunks. Pour buttermilk over the mixture; stir until well-blended and a soft, sticky dough is formed. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Form biscuits and bake as described above.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 biscuit of 9), Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 460mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.