Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Ready Time: 0 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Prepare single pie crust according to recipe directions, using a 9-inch pie plate. Thoroughly prick bottom and sides with fork to prevent shrinking.
- BAKE 16 to 20 minutes or until edges and bottom are golden brown.
MERINGUE - STEP 1
- COMBINE 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water in small saucepan. Stir until cornstarch dissolves. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture is clear. Cool while preparing filling. Heat oven to 350°F.
- COMBINE 1 1/2 cups sugar, 6 tablespoons cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir constantly 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- ADD about one third of hot mixture slowly to egg yolks. Mix well. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Add lemon juice slowly. Mix well. Spoon into baked pie crust.
MERINGUE - STEP 2
- BEAT egg whites and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- ADD cooled cornstarch mixture gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over lemon filling, covering completely and sealing to edge of crust.
- BAKE 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Refrigerate.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 150), Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 270mg, Total Carbohydrate 74g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 51g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.