Classic Red Velvet Cake
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 100 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 (1 oz.) bottle red food coloring
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT sugar and eggs together in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add oil, food coloring, 2 teaspoons vanilla and vinegar. Beat until smooth. Add flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pans.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.
- BEAT cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Frost cake as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 540 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 230mg, Total Carbohydrate 75g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 55g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.