Classic Southern Fried Chicken
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 1440 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) whole chicken, cut up
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups Crisco® Pure Peanut Oil
- OR 4 cups Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- COMBINE buttermilk, hot pepper sauce and 3 teaspoons salt in large resealable heavy-duty plastic bag. Seal bag and gently knead bag until salt is completely dissolved.
- RINSE chicken; pat dry with paper towels. If necessary, cut into 2 breast halves, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks and 2 wings. Cut each breast half in half, crosswise, for more even cooking. Reserve giblets and back for other use. Add chicken pieces to buttermilk mixture. Seal bag; turn to coat. Chill 4 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- PLACE flour in wide shallow dish. Stir in baking powder, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture, one piece at a time, shaking off excess. Add to flour mixture, turning to coat completely. Place coated chicken on wire rack set over a sheet of wax paper. Repeat to coat remaining chicken pieces. Let stand 15 minutes to set coating.
- HEAT oil to 365°F in 12-inch deep heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Place half of the chicken pieces in hot oil, skin side down. Cover and cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown. Turn chicken over and continue cooking, uncovered, an additional 7 to 11 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature reads a minimum of 165°F. Reduce heat to medium-low if necessary to avoid overbrowning, but maintain a minimum oil temperature of 310°F. Drain on paper towels. Repeat to cook remaining chicken.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories 0 (Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 0g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.