Coconut Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained, 2 tablespoons juice reserved
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries, drained (optional)
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. In 9-inch round layer pan blend 1/4 cup shortening and brown sugar. Place in oven for 5 minutes to soften. Remove from oven. Add pineapple and coconut. Mix and spread in even layer over melted mixture in bottom of pan. Set aside.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, milk, 1/3 cup shortening, egg, baking powder, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended, scraping bowl constantly. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour over pineapple mixture.
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert on serving plate. Garnish with maraschino cherries, if desired. Serve warm or cool.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of cake), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 160mg, Total Carbohydrate 52g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 39g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.