Cod Pot Pies with Herbed Biscuit Crust
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 0 min
- Yield: 4 individual pot pies
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3 tablespoons Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless cod fillet, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus 1 tablespoon, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Spray 4 or 5-inch ramekins with no-stick cooking spray.
- HEAT shortening in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 7 minutes.
- ADD flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes (sauce will be thick.) Remove pan from heat. Season cod with salt and pepper; gently stir into sauce.
- WHISK together flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Blend in shortening cubes with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and dill with a fork until mixture just comes together.
- GATHER dough into a ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 2 or 3 times. Roll out with a floured rolling pin into an 8-inch square (1/2 inch thick). Cut out 4 biscuits using a 3 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- DIVIDE filling among ramekins. Top each with a biscuit; brush biscuits with melted shortening. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until sauce is bubbling and biscuits are golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 pot pie), Calories 730 (Calories from Fat 380), Total Fat 42g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 1410mg, Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 8g), Protein 35g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 40%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.