Corn and Crab Empanadas
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 12 empanadas
- 6 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8 oz.) container lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- OR 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 large egg, beaten (optional)
- 2 recipes prepared Empanada Dough, chilled
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil (optional)
- MELT 3 tablespoons shortening in large skillet over medium heat. Add corn; saute 3 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Remove from skillet.
- MELT remaining 3 tablespoons shortening in same skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in half-and-half gradually. Add salt and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Fold in corn, crab and thyme. Remove filling from skillet and cool completely.
- DIVIDE Empanada Dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each on lightly floured surface into 6-inch circle. Brush edges with water. Spoon 1/4 cup corn mixture onto each circle. Fold dough in half to cover filling. Seal edges by pinching or pressing with fork.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Beat egg in small bowl with fork until foamy. Brush over empanadas. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- HEAT 1 inch oil to 350°F in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook in batches, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Drain on paper towels. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/12 of recipe), Calories 370 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 380mg, Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 5g), Protein 9g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.