Cream-Filled Strawberry-Brownie Cake
Doris Wallace, Des Arc, AR, Bake-Off® Contest 45, 2012 Finalist
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 200 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 (18.4 oz.) box Pillsbury® Family Size Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1 box Pillsbury® Moist Supreme® Strawberry Flavored Premium Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
FROSTING AND GARNISH
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries*
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with cooking parchment paper; spray paper with cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir remaining brownie layer ingredients 50 strokes with spoon. Spread about 1 cup batter in each of 3 pans.
- In large bowl, beat all cake layer ingredients except diced strawberries with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on high speed 2 minutes or until blended. Fold in diced strawberries. Pour and spread about 1 1/3 cups mixture evenly over brownie batter in each pan.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake layers from pans on cooling racks; remove parchment paper. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy. Beat in 3 cups powdered sugar until creamy. Carefully fold in 8 oz whipped topping.
- To make frosting, in another medium bowl, beat 16 oz whipped topping and 2/3 cup powdered sugar with electric mixer on low speed until blended.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer, brownie side down, on serving plate. Spread half of filling to within 1/4 inch of edge; top with 3/4 cup of the strawberry slices. Repeat with second layer, remaining filling and 3/4 cup strawberry slices. Top with remaining cake layer, top side up. Frost sides and top of cake with frosting. Garnish with remaining 1 1/2 cups strawberry slices. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.
- TIP *Whole strawberries dipped in chocolate can be substituted for the sliced strawberries.
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills ©2012 / LAND O LAKES is a registered trademark of Land O’Lakes, Inc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 730 (Calories from Fat 350), Total Fat 40g (Saturated Fat 19g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 110mg, Sodium 410mg, Total Carbohydrate 92g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 72g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.