- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Ready Time: 75 min
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen sliced okra (optional)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- ADD onion, celery and green pepper. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- ADD tomatoes, tomato sauce, okra, lemon half, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, basil, thyme, bay leaf and cayenne.
- COVER; reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- STIR in shrimp. Cover; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove lemon and bay leaf before serving.
- SERVE over hot rice. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 440 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 29g), Cholesterol 170mg, Sodium 1240mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 11g), Protein 29g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 10%, Iron 35%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.