Crispy Apple Turnovers
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 12 turnovers
- 1 3/4 cups pared chopped tart cooking apples, about 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled
- 5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- HEAT oven to 425ºF.
- COMBINE apples and water in small saucepan. Cook on high heat until mixture comes to boil. Stir frequently. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Mix together 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir into apple mixture. Bring to boil. Boil one minute. Stir in butter.
- COMBINE flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in cold shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives until all flour is blended in to form pea-size chunks. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice-cold water at a time. Toss lightly with fork until dough forms ball.
- FLOUR rolling pin and surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 1/16-inch thickness. Cut 6 circles, about 5-inches each, from each half. Place a heaping tablespoon of apple filling on each dough circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half over filling. Press with fork to seal. Place on baking sheet. Prick tops with fork.
- BAKE 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
- STIR together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in small bowl until blended. Drizzle over turnovers. Serve warm or cool.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/12), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 4mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 14g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.