- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 7 min
- Ready Time: 25 min
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 catfish fillets (about 6 oz. each)
- 1/3 cup Martha White® Plain Enriched White Corn Meal
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- Tartar sauce (optional)
- RINSE fish. Pat dry. Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, paprika, onion powder and pepper in shallow dish. In another shallow dish combine egg and water. Dip fish in egg mixture. Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- HEAT oil to 365°F in electric skillet or on medium-high heat in large heavy skillet.
- FRY fish 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until crisp and browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce, if desired.
- TIP Any firm, white-fleshed fish fillet such as flounder, sole or cod can be cooked in the same way. The coating also works well on turkey cutlets or boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- TIP To keep fried fish warm, place fish on baking sheet lined with paper towels in a 200°F oven.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 480 (Calories from Fat 260), Total Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 145mg, Sodium 800mg, Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 0g), Protein 30g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.