Curried Lamb Stew
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 100 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves, tied in cheesecloth
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large green pepper, cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- COMBINE flour, salt and pepper in large resealable food storage bag. Add lamb. Shake to coat.
- MELT shortening in Dutch oven. Add coated lamb and any remaining flour. Brown over medium-high heat. Add onion, apple, tomatoes and chicken broth. Heat to boiling. Add curry powder, cinnamon and cloves. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- ADD potatoes, carrots and green pepper; simmer an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove cloves. Stir in parsley. Serve with rice.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 720mg, Total Carbohydrate 46g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 6g), Protein 24g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 6%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.