Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Whether you frost, sugar, or dip them in chocolate, you'll bring holiday cheer to everyone you share them with.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 4 dozen 2-inch cookies
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- COMBINE shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer; beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed until well blended. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- HEAT oven to 375ºF.
- ROLL out 1/2 dough at a time to about 1/8-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut out with cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars and decors or leave plain and frost when cooled.
- BAKE 7 to 9 minutes, or until set. Remove immediately to cooling rack.
- LEMON OR ORANGE CUT-OUT SUGAR COOKIES: ADD 1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel and 1 teaspoon lemon or orange extract to dough in Step 1.
- CHOCOLATE DIPPED: COMBINE 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon Butter Flavor Crisco shortening in microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave on MEDIUM (50% power). Stir after 1 minute. Repeat until smooth. Dip one end of cooled cookie halfway up in chocolate. Place on waxed paper until chocolate is firm.
- CHOCOLATE NUT: DIP in melted chocolate as directed above. Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts before chocolate hardens.
CREAMY VANILLA FROSTING
- COMBINE 1/2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco Shortening, 1 pound (4 cups) powdered sugar, 1/3 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in bowl of electric mixer; beat at low speed until well blended. Scrape bowl. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. One or two drops of food color can be used to tint each cup of frosting, if desired. Frost cooled cookies.
- TIP This frosting works well in decorating tube.
LEMON OR ORANGE CREAMY FROSTING
- Omit milk from Creamy Vanilla Frosting recipe. Add 1/3 cup lemon or orange juice. Add 1 teaspoon orange peel with orange juice. Proceed as directed.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cookie), Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 25), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 30mg, Total Carbohydrate 7g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 3g), Protein 0g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.