Dakota Green Apple Pie
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 150 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 6 cups sliced, peeled tart green cooking apples, (about 2 pounds or 6 medium)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Reserved dough
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie, using a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out dough for bottom crust and place in pie plate according to recipe directions. Do not bake. Reserve dough scraps.
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- COMBINE apples, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and butter in large bowl; toss to coat. Spoon into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water.
- ROLL out dough for top crust, place onto filled pie and finish edges according to pie crust recipe directions. Cut vent in top crust to resemble branches of apple tree.
- ROLL out reserved dough. Divide in half. Pour 1 tablespoon water into each of 2 cake pans or pie plates.
- ADD red food coloring to one and green food coloring to the other. Stir until blended. Dip one half of dough in red mixture and other half in green mixture.
- PLACE each on separate sheets of waxed paper. Cut out 1-inch circles with floured cutter. Lift red circles with knife and place on "branches" of tree shape. Add leaf shapes from green dough circles.
- BAKE 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
- BAKE an additional 40 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving.
- TIP Use any tart green-skinned apple such as Granny Smith.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 200), Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 320mg, Total Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 34g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.