Deluxe Devil's Food Cake
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury™ Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Chocolate curls (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 to 9 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 (2 lb.) package powdered sugar (7 1/2 cups)
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Line with parchment paper or wax paper circles. Coat with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT sugar, butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Blend into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat 1 minute. Divide evenly into prepared pans.
- BAKE 26 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- For Frosting: BEAT butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add 1/3 cup milk and powdered sugar. Beat on high speed, adding additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency.
- FILL and frost sides and top of cake with frosting. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired. Chill cake to set frosting. Allow cake to stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.
High Altitude (above 3500 feet):
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Decrease sugar in cake to 1 3/4 cups and baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Increase cake flour to 2 3/4 cups.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 680 (Calories from Fat 260), Total Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 18g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 460mg, Total Carbohydrate 105g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 84g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.