Deluxe Devil's Food Cake
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury™ Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 to 9 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 (2 lb.) package powdered sugar (7 1/2 cups)
- Chocolate curls (optional)
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Dust with flour
- For Cake: BEAT sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Blend into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat 1 minute. Divide evenly into prepared pans.
- BAKE 26 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- For Frosting: BEAT butter, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add 1/3 cup milk and powdered sugar. Beat on high speed, adding additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired spreading consistency.
- FILL and frost sides and top of cake with frosting. Garnish cake with chocolate curls, if desired.
- REFRIGERATE cake to set frosting; allow cake to stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.
High Altitude (above 3500 feet):
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Decrease sugar in cake to 1 3/4 cups and baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Increase cake flour to 2 3/4 cups.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 680 (Calories from Fat 260), Total Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 18g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 460mg, Total Carbohydrate 105g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 84g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.