Deluxe Devil's Food Cake
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 16 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury® Softasilk® Enriched & Bleached Cake Flour
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (alkalized) or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 to 9 tablespoons milk, divided
- 7 1/2 cups (2 lbs.) powdered sugar
- Chocolate curls (optional)
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans generously with no-stick cooking spray with flour.
- BEAT sugar, 1 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3/4 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; beat into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk on medium speed. Beat 1 minute longer. Pour into prepared pans.
- BAKE 26 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans to cool completely on wire rack.
- BEAT 1 1/4 cups butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons milk and powdered sugar, scraping bowl as needed. Beat on high speed adding additional milk by the tablespoon until desired spreading consistency is achieved.
- BRUSH any loose crumbs from cooled cake layers. Place first layer, rounded side down, on plate. Spread with Buttercream Frosting to within 1/4 inch of edge. Level off top of second layer. Top with second layer, topside down. Spread with frosting. Top with third layer, top side up. Coat side of cake with thin layer of frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost side and top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
- REFRIGERATE cake to set frosting; allow cake to stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.
High Altitude (above 3500 feet):
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Decrease sugar in cake to 1 3/4 cups and baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Increase cake flour to 2-3/4 cups.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 680 (Calories from Fat 260), Total Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 18g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 460mg, Total Carbohydrate 105g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 84g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.