Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- COMBINE strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar and brown sugar in medium bowl. Toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours before serving.
- HEAT oven to 425ºF. Lightly spray baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until flour is blended to form pea-size pieces. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Toss with fork until well combined (do not overwork). Drop batter into 6 equal mounds on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven; place baking sheet on a rack to cool.
- SPLIT each shortcake in half horizontally. Place bottoms on serving plates. Place an even amount of strawberries on shortcake bottoms. Top with whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 210), Total Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 470mg, Total Carbohydrate 54g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 19g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 90%, Calcium 20%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.