Jamaican Banana Cake with Broiled Topping
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 80 min
- Yield: 15 servings
- Pillsbury® Baking Spray with Flour
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
- 2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- CREAM 2/3 cup shortening, granulated sugar, vanilla and eggs in large bowl until creamy and slightly fluffy. Add milk, bananas, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended, scraping bowl constantly. Beat at medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes.
- SET oven to broil. Combine 1/3 cup shortening, brown sugar and milk in small saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly about 2 minutes, or until shortening melts. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread over warm cake. Broil 4 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown, watching carefully. Cool completely.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/15 of cake), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 230mg, Total Carbohydrate 51g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 32g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.