Beef Stew with Cornbread Topper
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 150 min
- Ready Time: 170 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 pounds beef stew meat, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules or 2 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (16 oz.) can cut green beans, drained
CORN BREAD TOPPING
- 1 (6 oz.) package Martha White® Buttermilk Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- Snipped fresh parsley
- HEAT oven to 325ºF.
- COMBINE flour and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add meat cubes, tossing to coat. Heat oil over medium high heat in 10-inch skillet. Add beef; brown on all sides. Add tomatoes with liquid, water, carrots, onion, celery, chili sauce and bouillon granules to meat in skillet. Mix well.
- SPRAY a 3-quart casserole with no-stick cooking spray. Transfer ingredients in skillet to prepared casserole. Cover tightly; bake 1 1/4 hours. Stir in mixed vegetables and green beans. Cover; bake an additional 45 minutes.
- INCREASE oven temperature to 425ºF. Combine cornbread mix with milk in medium bowl; pour evenly over stew mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes. Increase heat to broil; broil 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Sprinkle with snipped parsley.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 450 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 760mg, Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 7g), Protein 22g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 140%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.