All-American Cherry Pie
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 8
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red sour pitted cherries, drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- Few drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- Prepare as directed. Do not bake. Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; add reserved 1/4 cup cherry juice and red food coloring, if desired. Stir until blended. Add cherries.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and almond extract.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust. Roll out top crust. Using 1-1/2-inch star cutter, cut 3 stars in center of crust. Place top crust over filling; trim and seal. Roll out leftover scraps to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into star garnishes. Place on crust as desired.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolk with fork. Stir in half-and-half. Brush over top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories 0 (Calories from Fat 0), Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 0g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.