- Prep Time: 70 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready Time: 85 min
- Yield: 2-2-1/2 dozen puffs
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115ºF)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- OR 1 tablespoon Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup milk, scalded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, for deep frying
- OR Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, for deep frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- SPRINKLE yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar over warm water; let stand until softened.
- BEAT egg and melted shortening with a fork in large bowl. Stir in milk, water, salt, and 1 cup flour; beat with a spoon until smooth. Stir in softened yeast, then remaining flour. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- HEAT shortening to 365ºF in large saucepan or deep fryer.
- STIR down batter with a spoon. Drop rounded measuring tablespoons of batter into hot shortening. (Do not use a fryer basket.) Fry puffs, 6 to 8 at a time, 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- REMOVE and drain on paper towels. Keep warm while frying remaining puffs.
- COMBINE 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon on a shallow plate. Roll warm puffs in cinnamon sugar; serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 puff of 30), Calories 80 (Calories from Fat 35), Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 25mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 3g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.