Blueberry Ricotta Cheese Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 90 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 1/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, drained
- Reserved crumb mixture
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping. To remainder, add baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Pour into prepared pan.
- BLEND ricotta, egg, sugar and lemon peel in medium bowl until smooth. Sprinkle blueberries over batter in pan. Gently spread ricotta mixture over blueberries. Combine reserved crumb mixture, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of ricotta layer.
- BAKE 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting.
- CRANBERRY RICOTTA CHEESE COFFEE CAKE: Follow the recipe above, substituting halved cranberries for blueberries and grated orange peel for lemon peel.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 180), Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 270mg, Total Carbohydrate 53g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 33g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.