Lemon Poppyseed Waffles with Blueberry Sauce
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Ready Time: 34 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 (16 oz.) package frozen blueberries, thawed and undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- SPRAY waffle maker with no-stick cooking spray.
- WHISK flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, almond extract, shortening and lemon peel in small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; whisk just until blended. Do not over mix. Let batter rest 15 minutes before baking.
- HEAT wafflemaker according to manufacturer’s directions. Ladle batter into waffle maker. Cook until golden. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Blueberry Sauce.
- COMBINE blueberries, water and sugar in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water in small bowl; stir into blueberry mixture. Add lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until mixture is thickened. Cool slightly. Serve with waffles.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 160mg, Sodium 970mg, Total Carbohydrate 82g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 51g), Protein 11g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 25%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.