Little Wreaths (Berlinerkranser)
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 240 min
- Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large hard-boiled egg yolks, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- Green colored sugar crystals
- 12 red candied cherries, cut into quarters
- SEPARATE eggs. Beat eggs whites lightly. Chill. Beat shortening and powdered sugar in large bowl on medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Beat in hard-boiled egg yolks, uncooked egg yolks, vanilla, almond extract and water. Beat in flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until well blended. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours.
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Allow dough to stand at room temperature until it becomes easy to handle.
- DIVIDE dough into 2 equal portions. Cut each portion into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 5-inch long rope. Form each rope into wreath or loop 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet, overlapping both ends. Brush each wreath with reserved egg white. Sprinkle with colored sugar crystals. Lightly press cherry piece into top of each wreath.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cookie), Calories 80 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 0mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 4g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.