Boston Brown Bread
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 180 min
- Ready Time: 195 min
- Yield: 2 loaves
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup Martha White® Plain Enriched Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- OR 2 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- Softened cream cheese (optional)
- SPRAY four clean 1-pound vegetable or fruit cans generously with no-stick cooking spray.
- MIX flours, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Stir in buttermilk, molasses, shortening and raisins until well mixed.
- SPOON batter into prepared cans. Cover with aluminum foil; secure foil by tying with string.
- PLACE cans on a rack in a large kettle. Pour in boiling water to come halfway up sides of cans. Cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to keep cans in boiling water to the halfway point.
- REMOVE from kettle; remove foil. Cool in cans 10 minutes on rack. Invert loaves onto rack. Serve warm or cold with softened cream cheese.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 7g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.