Griddle English Muffins
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm (110-115ºF) water
- 3/4 cup warm (110-115ºF) milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- OR 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1 large egg
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- Martha White® Plain Enriched Yellow Corn Meal
- Crisco® Butter Flavor No-Stick Cooking Spray
- DISSOLVE yeast in warm water in large bowl. Add warm milk, sugar, salt, melted shortening, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat on low speed of electric mixer 3 minutes. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make very stiff dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Punch down dough; let rest 15 minutes.
- SPRINKLE a baking sheet lightly with corn meal. Set aside. On floured board, roll dough to 1/2-inch thick. Cut into rounds with 3-inch floured cutter. Place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops lightly with corn meal. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes.
- HEAT griddle or non-stick frying pan. Spray with no-stick cooking spray. Cook a few muffins at a time 8 to 10 minutes, or until deep golden brown, turning every 4 minutes. To serve, split with fork. Toast until golden.
- TIP Spread with your favorite Smucker's® Jam, Jelly or Preserves.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 muffin of 12), Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.