Luscious Cream Puffs
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 18 cream puffs
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 400ºF. Coat 3 baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE water, shortening and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir in flour all at once. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets, 6 per sheet.
- BAKE at least 30 minutes or until golden brown and dry. Cool away from drafts.
- COMBINE sugar, cornstarch and salt in large saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Stir a little hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Pour egg mixture back into saucepan; stir until blended. Cook an additional 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in shortening and vanilla. Cool.
- CUT off tops of cream puffs with a serrated knife. Pull out any soft dough. Spoon filling into cream puffs. Replace tops. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 cream puff), Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 105mg, Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 12g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.